2009 Kolditz Family

2009 Kolditz Family

Monday, May 19, 2008

Shelby's 911 Call

Shelby continues to throw curveballs at us and never ceases to find ways to cause trouble.

Tamara leaves a little before seven in the morning to get to her work by 7:30 a.m. When I got out of the shower today at around 7:15, somebody was at the door knocking. I hurried into the bedroom to put some clothes on and was surprised that Shelby wasn’t running to the door like she normally does when someone is there, especially since if anybody is knocking that early, it’s usually one of her friends wanting to walk with her to school.

Shelby and Noah were in our TV room watching cartoons, and I headed that way to look out the window to see who was there. As I was heading toward the room, I heard Noah start yelling, “Hi Policeman! Hi!” Three cops were at the door on the verge of busting it down.

When I opened the door, the cops asked me if anybody had called 911. They said they had received a hang up call from our address. I invited them in and called Shelby who was hiding under a blanked in the TV room. She didn’t run to the door because she knew what she had done and thought the cops were there to take her to jail.

After apologizing to the policemen, I was able to have a talk with Shelby about the importance of 911 and only calling for emergencies. Hopefully, she learned her lesson and doesn’t do it again.

Tamara and I were talking tonight about whether we remember ever doing anything like that when we were growing up. Tammy said she never did, but I remember doing it when I was in elementary school. It was me and probably Corianne that made a prank call to 911 and told them our house was on fire before hanging up. They immediately called back the number, and my mom told them there was no fire. When asked why I did it, I remember saying because I wanted to practice so I would know what to do if there was a real emergency. I don’t remember getting into much trouble after making that comment.

I guess I still need to teach Shelby how to talk your way out of trouble.

3 comments:

Cheryl and Gordon said...

Shelby looks really good in her glasses! She is sure growing up fast. Thanks for this blog!! Its great to see your family... Noah has really changed since that latest family picture. We love you guys!!! :)

Cheryl and Gordon said...

Oh yes, about the 911 call. That just might be the first of several SURPRISE visits you'll be getting from 911 officals in the future. Shelby's hair is getting so long. It looks really good.

Beau and Candace said...

That's so funny! They are sooooo cute. I seriously can't wait to see them this summer, so you guys still better come out!!

Slideshow